Howdy people ,
And we are back , it was an unavoidable break in transmission as so may events came into play one of which included some evil boys stealing my laptop, this is definitely a story for another day .
Alright, so let’s get back to the rants that concern us , I don’t know about your end but for me the weather has been mad hot ; needless to say what people with oily face would be going through right now . If you are anything like me and are inclined to have minimal makeup on then don’t stop reading . I am of the school of thought that less is better which is why I believe using primers less regularly is the way to go .
OK, so here’s what we will do , we will quickly dissect what home based or natural products if you will that can be used to control oil . Surprisingly , they are everywhere ,can be found in the market and are inexpensive.
What causes oily skin? Oily skin is caused by the accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer which often ends up manifesting as whiteheads, blackhead, pimples and also enhances enlarged pores etc . People with oily skin tends to age slowly.
The causes of oily skin can be from your diet,if you stress yourself a lot or experience hormonal change(menstruation, pregnancy and puberty) and genetics.
High in vitamin A, egg whites can effectively dry out skin blemishes as well as tone and tighten up oily skin.
- Whip one egg white until stiff and spread it on your skin. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice a week.
- Whip one egg white, add the juice from half a lemon and mix it well. Apply the mixture on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. This will tighten the skin and soak up excess oil.
Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid that works like an astringent. It also has antiseptic properties that can lighten skin discoloration and restore the skin’s pH balance.
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with one-half teaspoon of distilled water. Apply it on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your face with warm water. Lemon juice can dry out your skin, so apply some oil-free moisturizer afterward. Do this once daily.
Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice, one-half tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of milk. Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. If done once daily, this remedy will give you positive results within a week.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps gently exfoliate the skin and absorbs excess oil from the face.
- Apply one tablespoon of plain yogurt thoroughly over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with cool water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon each of organic yogurt and finely ground oatmeal. Then stir in one teaspoon of warm honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Tomatoes are great for oily skin due to their cooling, clarifying and astringent properties. The high vitamin C content in tomatoes is very helpful for acne – prone skin. Plus, the natural oil-absorbing acids in tomatoes help get rid of excess oil.
- Cut a tomato in half and rub it on your skin.
- Allow the juice to soak into your skin for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse your skin with cold water, pat it dry and apply a light oil-free moisturizer.
Note: You can also make a face mask by combining three tablespoons of tomato juice with one tablespoon of honey.
Apples work as a great exfoliating agent and they have mild antiseptic, astringent, and soothing properties that make them a great home remedy for oily skin. The malic acid in apples helps exfoliate dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil from the skin’s surface.
- Grate half an apple and place the shreds on your skin. Leave it on the skin for 15 minutes and then wash it off with tepid water.
- Mix one teaspoon each of grated apple, yogurt and lemon juice to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse your face with cool water.
Cucumbers are also very beneficial for oily skin due to their cooling, astringent, and soothing properties. Also, the high vitamin and mineral content, including vitamins A and E, magnesium, and potassium, are good for oily skin.
- Cut a fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, let it dry, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily. This remedy can also be used to lighten freckles and reduce sunburn.
Clay masks remove dirt, makeup, dead skin cells, and other impurities from the skin while tightening pores, giving you a cleaner, more refined skin tone.
- Mix rosewater or plain water into 3 tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth to make a paste.
- Apply to face, leave on 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat once a week.
Both white and apple cider vinegar exfoliate skin and balance the hormones responsible for over-production of oil.
- Use a cotton ball to apply vinegar to your face.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
- Repeat for 3 weeks.
- Note: Vinegar can also be chilled or frozen into ice cubes and rubbed over the skin.
As a disinfectant and a natural drying agent, salt is one of the most effective ways to remove excess oil.
- Fill a spray bottle with tepid water and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Close your eyes and spray the salt water on your face.
- Do not rinse.
- Repeat daily to get rid of oil skin.
Cornstarch dries up excess oil, leaving skin soft and clear.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch with warm water to make a paste.
- Apply to face and leave on until dry.
- Rinse with lukewarm water,
- Repeat daily.
Baking soda exfoliates to remove dead skin cells, regulates oil production, and helps to balance the skin’s pH levels.
- Mix 2 tablespoons baking soda with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste.
- Massage it into your face.
- Let dry 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
Banana and Honey
Banana and honey remove excess oil and soothe skin, leaving it brighter and more hydrated.
- Blend one peeled banana and 1 tablespoon honey to make a fine solution.
- Add a few drops lemon or orange juice.
- Apply to face and let dry 15 minutes.
- Wash off with cool or steaming hot washcloth and pat dry.
- Apply oil free moisturizer.
- Note: you can also apply plain honey as a mask.
Orange peel contains astringents, which help to control oil secretion.
- Dry an orange peel in the sun.
- Blend it to make a powder.
- Mix the powder with rosewater to make a paste.
- Apply to face and leave on 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat regularly to control oil and prevent blemishes
Tips for Preventing Oily Skin
- Wash your face twice daily with glycerin soap.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel to your face 2-3 times daily to absorb oil and clear pores.
- Carry oil-absorbing tissues to wipe away oil whenever necessary.
- Washing with cool water twice a day is better than using chemicals on your skin.
- Avoid moisturizers that exacerbate your oil problem, but use sunscreen before going outside.
- Keep hair away from the face, especially if it is also oily.
- Constantly touching your face will transfer excess dirt and oil onto it.
- Clean your makeup brushes once a week.
- Use water-based cosmetics and try to avoid foundations that will clog pores and cause breakouts.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate, refresh, and detoxify skin from the inside.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat foods rich in enzymes, like pineapple, milk, and pumpkin. They help dissolve the oil that attracts dirt and dead skin cells to the skin’s surface.
- Use gentle, pH balanced, slightly acidic cleaners that will dissolve excess oils without damaging the skin’s natural mantle, which protects against bacteria.
- Rub papaya or watermelon on your skin to reduce oiliness.
- Avoid artificial perfumes, coloring agents, synthetic chemicals, and mineral oils.
- To avoid side effects, always use natural products and home remedies.
* sources Home remedies and Beauty Health tips.
Till my next post,
Hugs and kisses